Weapon sounds

Everything that does not fit the other categories.
Forum rules
- No: racism/SS/Nazi comments/names/squads. No flaming/insulting.
- No teamkilling on purpose/wait your turn for weapons & vehicles.
- No fighting/AFK commander
- ABC Lines & Main Bases: Do NOT fire into / out of there!
- Planes: only attack fixed positions behind ABCs.
WolfThorn

Weapon sounds

Postby WolfThorn » April 28th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Hi all. In this topic I'd like to ask those who has some knowledge in modding. I made a lot of new weapon sounds using original sounds. However, after placing these into the game, they don't work as expected. The only thing I did is overwriting the game files with the new ones, with the same name. While playing, I noticed the following:

-If someone is shooting a weapon that has a new sound and this person is far away from me, it sounds just like the gun was fired next to me, while there is nobody near.
-Automatic weapons with new sound effect make the sound only when I press the mouse button. When firing a burst, only the first shot can be heard, then the gun remains silent.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I want to make it work properly as I spent a lot of time making the sounds.

GeoPat

Re: Weapon sounds

Postby GeoPat » April 29th, 2018, 3:15 am

I don't know much about sound modding but I know they have to be put in the right .ogg format to work.
You have to use BF2 Sound Tools. I don't think other converters work. You also need to have the wave form in a particular format before converting it with BF2 Sound Tools. I think it needs to be mono and 32Hz. That's what I use for loading music anyway.

Another point is that FH2 uses 1st person(1p) and third person(3p) sounds for almost everything. So you probably need different sound files with different volumes and pitch, etc.

I'm not sure about any of this. Do some research or wait for someone knowledgeable to "chime" in.

WolfThorn

Postby WolfThorn » April 29th, 2018, 9:41 am

I know that each weapon has multiple sounds, what you hear depends on where are you. It can be distinguished even in-game. There are sounds for 1st person, 3rd person view, a sound for shooting inside a building, coaxial MG's have two sounds as well, and there are sounds that you can hear from the distance. I created the 1st p., the 3rd p. and the "inside" sounds using good quality videos about the weapons. Used Goldwave for editing, and after the failed gameplay test I re-opend some original and new sounds, and I noticed they have a lot of different properties , so yes, that could be a problem.

WolfThorn

Postby WolfThorn » April 29th, 2018, 10:10 am

Found this, I will try.

Use Audacity to save your WAV file as a 44100 16bit .
Then you convert it to OGG by following these instructons #3 through #5 in that tutorial.

3) Open your Mp3Original file in your sound editor (Audacity).
ExportSave as a 44100 16bit WAV file. Audacity automatically exports WAV Files in this format.

4) Place this in the BF2_sound_tools folder. (where ever you extracted and installed that BF2 sound tool program)

5) Drag the sound file over the OGGENC file. It will create a Ogg file with the correct settings for BF2 usage.

* Look at the images in that tutorial on how it should look by dragging your WAV file over the oggenc.exe icon
A little DOS window pops open and shows you the conversion process.
Then you see your converted OGG file in the same folder that you converted it in.

One more thing that I found interestig, while searching in the game files. Whenever opening this: objects_weapons_client.zip\Weapons\Common\Sounds
My computer went crazy all the time, CPU running at 100% and only restarting helped. Lots of good stuff in this folder, but I have to extract them in complicated ways.

WolfThorn

Postby WolfThorn » April 29th, 2018, 7:34 pm

After many ours I decided to use the original files :D .
The game works with the new sounds, but they are so quiet I can barely hear them. I tried many things, but could not get it work well. Please help me if any of you can.

WolfThorn

Postby WolfThorn » May 7th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Some examples of my new sounds. I will make more. Still trying to figure out how to make the sounds work for automatic weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-bdqN ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOHZ3OH ... e=youtu.be

Sandre
Head Admin
Head Admin

Postby Sandre » May 7th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Nice

WolfThorn

Postby WolfThorn » May 8th, 2018, 9:23 am

G43 with new sound.

https://youtu.be/6g7MInC0DSI

Enriik
Rockie Member
Rockie Member

Postby Enriik » May 8th, 2018, 10:25 am

WolfThorn wrote:G43 with new sound.

https://youtu.be/6g7MInC0DSI

Great sounds. I like them much more than original ones. Are you planning K98 by any chance? :P

WolfThorn

Postby WolfThorn » May 8th, 2018, 10:39 am

Yes I made lots of sounds, including K98 too. I will upload it later. If you want to use these, tell me how to share it with you, and I will describe how to add them to the game. I also made the third person sounds, but those are yet to be tested. Whenever I used them, they were a bit buggy. There are new sounds for many automatic weapons, but those are much complicated, I need more time for those.

Return to “General Discussion”